Advanced Typography - Final Compilation and Reflection


Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan
Advanced Typography 
Final Compilation and Reflection



INSTRUCTIONS

Advanced Typography Exercises
 
Project I: Title and Key Artwork 

Project II: Collateral
 
Final Project: Design, Exploration and Application



SUBMISSIONS

Advanced Typography Exercises

1. Typographic Systems

Figure 1.1 Axial System

Figure 1.2 Axial System

Figure 1.3 Radial System

Figure 1.4 Radial System

Figure 1.5 Dilational System

Figure 1.6 Dilational System

Figure 1.7 Random System

Figure 1.8 Random System

Figure 1.9 Grid System

Figure 1.10 Grid System

Figure 1.11 Transitional System

Figure 1.12 Transitional System

Figure 1.13 Modular System

Figure 1.14 Modular System

Figure 1.15 Bilateral System

Figure 1.16 Bilateral System

Figure 1.17 Typographic Systems in Thumbnail View

Figure 1.18 Typographic Systems in Thumbnail View

Embedded version of typographic systems in PDF:



2. Type and Play Part 1

Image / object used:
Figure 2.1 Object used + Outline of object

Final design of typeface:
Figure 2.2 Type and Play Part 1 Letter 'P'

Figure 2.3 Type and Play Part 1 Letter 'U'

Figure 2.4 Type and Play Part 1 Letter 'M'

Figure 2.5 Type and Play Part 1 Letter 'T'

Figure 2.6 Type and Play Part 1 Letter 'V'
Figure 2.7 Type and Play Part 1 Final Outcome

Final design of typeface in PDF:



3. Type and Play Part 2

Final design:

Figure 3.1 Type and Play Part 2 Final Outcome



 Project 1: The Troublemakers Manifesto Key Artwork

Key Artwork:

Figure 4.1 Key Artwork Final Outcome



 Project 2: Collateral

1. Poster

Figure 5.1 Poster Final Design

Figure 5.2 Poster Framed

2. Tote Bag 
Figure 5.3 Tote Bag Final Design

Figure 5.4 Tote Bag being carried

3. T-Shirt
Figure 5.5 T-Shirt Final Design

4. Flatlay
Figure 5.6 Flatlay for Collateral



Final Project: 

Final Typeface Outcome:
Figure 6.1 Final Typeface Outcome (Black)

Figure 6.2 Final Typeface Outcome (Colour)

Figure 6.3 Final Typeface Outcome (Colour on Exercise Book + Paper Texture)

Final Animated Video on Teaching Children How to Write the Alphabet (A - E):




REFLECTION

Experiences:

The end of the semester is finally here again, which means all our projects for these 14 weeks have been all submitted and done for the term. As I've already experienced the module Typography in the previous semester, I feel like it was much easier to communicate with our lecturers this semester and that the class was more comfortable with each other as well. Furthermore, as we all knew how the class worked, it was way easier to adjust to the workload compared to the first semester. In all honesty, I enjoyed Advanced Typography a little more than Typography, not just the atmosphere of the class but the tasks given and the way the class was taught as well.

For this module, we practiced 'Flip Classroom' and I especially liked the section where our friends had to ask us questions and we had to respond to them. I think I'm quite kiasu / competitive so this doesn't apply to everyone in the class but this made me focus on their presentation more because I would want to learn about the topics that my friends have put their effort into learning and creating slides for.

During consultation, our lecturers were really nice to us this semester and gave us really good constructive criticism, it made me really happy to be able to receive this kind of guidance which is not sugarcoated yet not too harsh as well. It made me want to go back to my seat and work even harder to produce greater results. All in all, I had a pleasant time during these 14 weeks of Advanced Typography and I will definitely miss this class alongside my lecturers, Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul, in the upcoming semesters.

Observations:

From these 14 weeks of Advanced Typography, I noticed that my sense of design has improved, even if by just a little. I am able to make decisions with more confidence now and I am able to evaluate my designs with justifications on my actions. My sensitivity towards creating typefaces have also increased as we worked on two projects that involved that practice, and I actually enjoyed creating typefaces the most out of all our exercises and projects. Thanks to this module, I have also noticed that I pay more attention to type on designs now, be it billboards or small packaging designs, or even publications.

I have also observed my lecturers and how they seem more relaxed and comfortable with us compared to during our Typography module. They look like they have more faith in us this semester and believe that we are able to make our own decisions, if we don't want to do something then it's totally up to us. Although this applies for the classmates around me, I would usually still ask for feedback and reevaluate it based on the feedback my lecturers have given as I understand that they have way more experience than us and have seen years more of designs compared to us.

I noticed that my class is somewhat lacking in togetherness, I wonder whether my classmates would have even asked for I group photo at the end of the semester if I didn't do so. Thankfully in the end, they did cooperate with the group photo and we took nice pictures and even boomerangs (as requested by our lecturers which I thought was really cool) at the end of the last class.

Findings:  

As I wrap up my reflection on my progress on this module and as a designer on a whole, I find that I have learnt to take constructive criticism really well as compared to the me in the previous semester. I find that my thinking has changed to be more open about other view points and perspectives once I realize it, but it might take some reminders to do so, sometimes. Back in semester 1, I would have felt a little hurt whenever my hard work got rejected, but after completing that semester, I started to become tougher and in this semester, I actually found that I was totally ready for working harder if any of my ideas got rejected. Instead of thinking 'I worked so hard for this why did it get rejected", instead, I thought "Okay this means I can work harder on this so let's do this".

It's amazing how I can see the changes in my thinking from before I started this module and after completing it. I owe all of this to both my lecturers for this module, as I think out of all the lecturers that have taught me so far, they were the ones that actually shaped us up to become tougher and more disciplined, for our own sake, and for our future when we're out working in the industry. I find that all my lecturers not only teach us design skills and theories, but also valuable life lessons on how to cope with being in the design field, which I am really thankful for. The projects they have planned out for us do help in enriching our life skills as well, and give us a gist on what it would be like when we go out into the open wilderness and work in the future.

Last but not least, I learned how to take notes easier this semester, and how to operate my blog more systematically, which made it less of a chore. I used to take notes on paper last time but I type everything in my blog during my lectures and that saves me a lot of time. I really would have appreciated if I could go back in time and told my old self these tips and tricks but I'm glad that I could experience all this as a learning process. Alas, I hope that I will find all that I've learnt from this module useful and incorporate them into my future projects, never forgetting my roots of design and where it all stemmed from.



Comments

Most Popular Post