Motion Graphics and Compositing - Project 1


April 2020 to July 2020 (Week 1 to Week 4)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Motion Graphics and Compositing
Project 1: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities



Instructions:

Module Information Booklet:





This post contains the process and outcomes of Project 1 in the module, Motion Graphics and Compositing.

Project 1 Brief:

TIME FRAME: Week 01 – Week 04
DEADLINE: WEEK 04

DESCRIPTION:
Students are given variety of tasks from basics to advance that develop their motion graphics sensibilities by increasing their technical proficiency and knowledge.

REQUIREMENTS:

Each student will explore and increase their technical proficiency and knowledge levels in the appropriate software individually but also with assistance of peers and facilitator.

SUBMISSION:

Please refer to the attachment for more info.




 
Process:

Week 1 & 2:

We focused on the exercises leading up to this project, namely the paper collages that helped with learning about composition and finding out our current style. The exercise helps with this project as composition is important in motion graphics, especially the flow of the motion.

Refer to Exercises for more about the collages.

Week 3:

We had an exercise on After Effects for us to recap and get used to the software, which learning about the technical sensibilities of motion graphics. This was what I came up with while following the tutorial during class:


I didn't use After Effects for motion graphics much before this, and had little to no knowledge of motion graphics. It's fun to learn about it though.

We were also given an example made by Mr Fauzi, of how the first project would be like, focusing on the design principles and incorporating them into motion graphics.


We were given a template to complete, the first four principles, movement, hierarchy, balance, and direction were made for us. We had to come up with keyframes for symmetry, focus, scale and rhythm.

Visual References:

I was quite clueless on how to create my own keyframes for the four principles, so I went onto pinterest to look for some inspiration and references. These are what I found.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/803188914771951114/
 
 https://www.pinterest.com/pin/546272629775714007/



Week 4:

Part 1:

I started working on the four types of principles for part 1 of this project.

Editing process of Part 1 on After Effects:

Used rulers to make sure that the movement will be symmetrical.



This was the result of the four types of principles that I worked to show through keyframing shapes:


Part 2:

After Part 1 was done, we had to use all 8 of the pre-comps to make a simple motion graphics composition. I used a lot of the keyframes that I made and

Editing process of Part 2 on After Effects:



Compiling all three compositions and adding background music on Premiere Pro:


Final Outcome:

This is the final outcome for Project 1, uploaded onto YouTube as unlisted. I used NCT 127's Paradise, a motion graphics bgm and the instrumental from The 7th Sense by NCT U.




Feedback and Reflection:

Project 1 Feedback:

Week 3:
Mr Fauzi commented on my file names and said that I should rename them into the shapes that I'm creating, so that I won't mix up the shapes and waste time looking for them later on, and it's a good practice to always do that in case the project needs to be handed over to others.

Week 4:
Mr Fauzi said that I did good work for the first project and that I followed the submission requirements and naming, while also showcasing extra from what was required. I was good to go for Project 1.

Project 1 Reflection:

I was quite confused on what to do at first as I don't really know how to use After Effects well, especially for motion graphics. I knew very little about the options for keyframing, and did a lot of trial and error. At some point I don't even know if what I did was right or not, but after being able to produce moving objects that came in and moved in a cool way, I was motivated to work harder on this subject.

I really enjoyed compositing the part 2 compositions using what I have created and it felt quite experimental yet at the same time I had to balance the techniques and principles as well so as to give the audience a motive / flow to watch the video to the end. I also learned a few new shortcuts for After Effects, namely the keyframing keys, S for scale, P for Position, O for Opacity and such. I also learned how to make a pre-comp and organize my files in AE better, before this I used to put everything in one composition and end up having 74932874912 items in one comp, and looking back at my past self, I think I was really dumb to not know that I could turn them into pre-comps and compile them into the final one later.

I was a bit stuck on how to continue the composition in the second part but the music actually helped me plan my timing and gave me more ideas and visualizations on how to proceed. All in all, project 1 was quite educational and gave me a boost of confidence on using After Effects.

End of Project 1.

Comments

Most Popular Post