Motion Graphics and Composting - Exercises


April 2020 to May 2020 (Week 1 to Week 5)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Motion Graphics and Compositing
Lectures and Exercises



Instructions:

Module Information Booklet:





This post contains a compilation of the lectures and exercises in the module, Motion Graphics and Compositing.

Week 1

Learned how to organize and use our Google Drive better through this video.

Lecture Notes:



Reflection: I consider myself as a somewhat organized person when it comes to work and assignments, I've been practicing storing work into folders and sub-folders on my PC since the start of Semester 1, and I've already created folders on Google Drive and on my PC for this semester before it started so I didn't really do much during the class but I still learned some shortcuts that I didn't know of before. We also tested out if we were more left or right-brained, and I was apparently more right-brained.

Created a pinterest board on Motion Graphics and Compositing. Inspirations for Motion Graphics could be saved easily using this method. We were tasked to save 20 pins but I saved around 40 of them. I think I'm interested into both flat illustrations motion graphics and 3D animated ones. I'm not as interested in kinetic typography but I think it would be of good use for me in the future.


Motion Graphics Inspiration Links:

Found some links that could help with inspiration for motion graphics in the upcoming future:

3) Motiongrapher: https://motionographer.com

Week 2

Lecture on brief history of compositing and motion graphics principles. Watched some videos to help us understand the origin of motion graphics and where it all started.

Below are the lecture notes for this class.



Reflection: From the lecture, I learned that motion graphics is an animation with the major part being text, can be thought of as an animated graphic design, and is used with music and effective copy to communicate with the viewer. Motion graphics may be used in branding, for explaining a concept, storytelling, creating awareness and much more.

Read an article titled "What is Motion Graphics" to understand more about motion graphics. I liked the Travelling Lights video, the colours, motion and sound fit very well and I wish to be able to create something like that in the future too.

Reminded to use Bit.ly to create neater and more organized links.

Briefed on our first exercise, where we were supposed to create a collage out of magazine and newspaper cuttings.

Composition Studies: Collage

Exercise 1 - Deconstructing digital images and the rendering process

Process Images:





Composition 1:


 Composition 2:


 Composition 3:


Feedback: Final composition for the collage was discussed, used my feelings for the first piece, second piece had no focal point, had a concept for my last piece. The decision was up to me, decided to go with the 3rd piece even though I liked both 1st and 3rd ones. Next step was to glue the 3rd composition onto the paper.

Final Composition for Exercise 1:



Reflection:
This exercise was rather enjoyable for me as I've done collages like these before, and it's been awhile since I've done them again. I was glad to be able to do something hands on in this class and channel my creativity and artistry into this exercise.

For the first piece, I feel like I just went ahead and used what I saw to make a piece, I had a concept for it, which was a dancer or a performer that was on stage, they're being judged by the audience but that may not be their true selves. I focused the point of the composition onto the blue dress of the dancer, with the contrast and size of that element comparing to the others.

For the second piece, I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing and just experimented with the different ways to arrange the elements. I tried to make a concept out of this one but it was hard and I think I gave up with the composition halfway and started a new one aka the third one. There was no focal point for this composition therefore it wasn't strong enough.

Lastly, for the third piece, I used both my creativity and my thoughts in this piece and came up with a concept that I liked, while arranging the elements to be more structured and strategic so that there would be a flow in the composition. The main idea of this was that there is a lot of emotions and feelings that others can't see behind a mask that people put on every day, and that there is more than what meets the eye. I had a fun time trying to paste all the materials in the last piece and piecing them together, even though some of the medium I used were not as flat and I had trouble sticking them on but I like the fact that I used different medium to explore in this exercise.

Week 3

Lecture notes:



Reflection:
The composition principles learned in this lecture consists of unity, balance, focus, contrast, movement rhythm, pattern and proportion. I learned about these during my foundation year but it is always good to brush up and go back to the basics once in awhile.

Videos:

Exercise 2: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities

We had an exercise on After Effects for us to recap and get used to the software, which learning about the technical sensibilities of motion graphics. This was what I came up with while following the tutorial during class:


I didn't use After Effects for motion graphics much before this, and had little to no knowledge of motion graphics. It's fun to learn about it though.

Week 4

Lecture Notes:


Reflection:
The few kinetic typography principles I learned from this lecture consists of managing emotion, with sound, emotion can be brought up through kinetic typography. Kinetic typography also needs to maintain relativity, and readability is highly important, so kerning and choice of typeface should be highlighted. Motion sensitivity is also important, we need to give the viewers a break or a pause in the video and let their eyes rest. With bandwith constraints, we should simplify keywords and by monitoring our work through a fallback state, we are able to learn what we can improve on.

Videos:
Kinetic Typography Tutorial
Making Kinetic Typography in After Effects

Week 5

Videos:

Exercise 3: Composition

These were my compositions made based on the design elements that Mr Fauzi gave us. I arranged them, focusing on flow and movement in this 3 pieces.



First Composition:


Second Composition:


Third Composition:


We then had to animate the compositions on After Effects and turn them into IG stories.

Final Comp:


Comp 1 Keyframes:


Comp 2 Keyframes:


Final Outcome of Exercise 3:

This was what I produced in the end, combining both compositions together: 


Reflection:
This exercise served as another way to get used to After Effects faster and for us to practice on keyframing more without thinking too much about ideation unlike in projects. I had fun doing this and I hope to create more IG Stories like these in the future.

End of Exercises.

Comments

Most Popular Post