Digital Photography and Imaging - Project 1


22/10/18 -  5/11/18 (Week 9 - Week 11)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Digital Photography and Imaging
Project 1: Recreation of Jacek Yerka's Surrealistic Artwork



INSTRUCTIONS:

Assignment Brief





Week 10 (22/10/18)

We finally started on our first project. We had to recreate a surrealistic artwork of Jacek Yerka's. Here are some notes on the project that I took:


Figure 1.1 Notes on Project 1

 I was contemplating between a few of his artwork:

Figure 1.2 Surrealistic Artwork 1

Figure 1.3 Surrealistic Artwork 2

Figure 1.4 Surrealistic Artwork 3

This is the painting that I chose:

Figure 1.5 Final Chosen Surrealistic Artwork



Week 10: Gathering Materials 

As it was highly recommended that we used our own photos, I started listing down all the elements needed for the artwork and looking around for objects that could be used in my recreation. It was a hard time for me as I went around 3 shopping malls to take pictures of some parts, and had to get the perfect angle for the books using my own books, but no matter how I tried to angel them, they didn't come out well at all. I was in a bind. Fortunately, I had the table in my house but I had to use the close stamp tool to add lots of drawers.

These are the pictures that I took myself to use in the composition:

Figure 2.1 Books that I took Pictures of
Figure 2.2 Other Objects that I took Pictures Of

Creating the unique drawer using the close stamp tool:

Figure 2.3 Using the Clone Stamp Tool



Week 11: Creating the Composition 

 I started adding the elements that I've gathered into a photoshop file of 1920 x 1080p. It looked quite empty at first without the books and I got scared, but after getting the confirmation that we could use stock photos if we managed to edit it so that it doesn't look the same as the photo, I started collecting books and other elements that I couldn't find from . Here are the source files that I have gathered:


Figure 3.1 Source Files

 Selecting and masking objects:

Figure 3.2 Masking Objects

 As the original artwork was a 1:1 ratio, I added on more piles of books at the side of my recreation so that the ratio of the artwork will remain. This process took a long time and my eyes hurt a lot.

Figure 3.3 Completed Composition of my Surrealistic Artwork



Week 11.5: Extension

We were given a little extension so I could touch up on my artwork by refining the colour and warmth of the whole composition by using blending options, and I also added shadow and highlight layers to give the composition a little more depth.


Figure 4.1 Added Shadows, Highlights and Noise Layer

Finally, I added a noise layer on top of my recreation to make it look slightly like a painting although it definitely showed that it was made out of real images.



My final composition:

Figure 5.1 Final Recreation of Surrealistic Artwork

Comments

Most Popular Post