Design Research Methodology - Secondary Data: Critical Review


1/5/19 - 15/5/19 (Week 5 to Week 7)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Design Research Methodology
Secondary Data: Critical Review



Instructions:


Module Information Booklet:




Lecture Notes:

Week 4 (24/4/19)

Since it would be a public holiday on Week 5 of this class, the lecturers briefed us on our next task this week. These were the words I took down during the briefing:

1. Look for journal articles

2. Critical Review
  • Pick 10 articles for you to review critically 
  • Judging, evaluating with information 
  • You have read enough, looked at others' work 
  • Not just a summary - an analysis and evaluation of a book, article etc

3. Good critical review
  • You understand the material 
  • Know how to analyze and evaluate the material 
  • Strengths and weaknesses of article's idea and content 
  • Provides description, analysis, interpretation that allows the reader to assess the article's value 
  • Read the pdf with blue page in it

4. How to know if the article is relevant to you
  • Title 
  • Abstract 
  • If you wanna know more, look at reference list of that research paper 
  • If you come across a journal 10 or more pages - read abstract - conclusion page 
  • Ask yourself, have I done this, am I critical enough 

5. Do one critical review by next week

6. If you find the notes that are good for you, download and save it and don't forget the APA format

Week 5 (1/5/19)

No lectures this week as it was Labour Day. The lecturers uploaded slides on TIMES to help us with our critical reviews.



The lecturers also included some notes on how to write a critical review effectively:



There was also an example of a journal article so that we would know what to look for while choosing our journal articles.





Critical Review:

Week 5 (1/5/19)

I started collecting journal articles related to my topic of research this week. I learned how to search for them from the library workshop we had in the university. There were a lot of articles but I had to read through the abstract and conclusions to see if they were related to my research topic. I ended up downloading many journal articles and started categorizing them, taking out what I didn't want from there till it reached the top 10 articles I would write about.

These are the files that had the same topic of research but were not really journal articles or didn't pique my interest.


Figure 1.1 Journal Articles Collected

I had to choose 10 articles to write about, and these were the ones that didn't make it in the end.
Figure 1.2 Journal Articles Collected

These were the final articles that were chosen by me.
Figure 1.3 Journal Articles Collected and Used

Link to journal articles compilation folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1f2JpT5V7S6GdNgfr8mcExxRm_uk2FYTB?usp=sharing

FEEDBACK: No feedback this week as it was a public holiday (Labour Day). We were supposed to start writing and creating drafts on our critical reviews, and get 1-2 of them done by this week.

Week 6 (8/5/19)

I read through all the notes given to me by our lecturers, and even printed them out for easy reviewing. This was how my table looked like while doing my reading:

Figure 2.1 Reading Journal Articles

I summarized the notes my lecturers gave into one page so that I could write the reviews more effectively and so that I didn't need to keep referring to so many papers. Once I got this outline, I wrote my reviews much faster and got the hang of it.

Figure 2.2 Summarized Notes from Lecturers' Notes

I highlighted important points on my reader so that I would know where to focus on wrote writing my review.

Figure 2.3 Screenshot of Reading through Journal Article

Figure 2.4 Screenshot of Reading through Journal Article

FEEDBACK: I showed my current critical review progress to Ms Hayati and she said that I had everything there already and that I was good to go, all I needed to do was to be faster at writing as the deadline was coming up soon.

Week 7 (15/5/19)

While I was reading my critical reviews, I used the highlighter function in my reader to differentiate the different info found in my articles.The legend for the colours were:

Yellow - Important stuff to write in review
Blue - Information related to my topic that I could learn from
Green - Methods and materials used
Red - Vocabulary
Pink - Names to take into account while reading the other articles

An example of my highlighted journal articles:
Figure 3.1 Screenshot of Journal Article Highlights

Figure 3.2 Screenshot of Journal Article Highlights

Figure 3.3 Screenshot of Journal Article Highlights

Figure 3.4 Screenshot of Journal Article Highlights with Notes

FEEDBACK: I still had 3 more critical reviews to write before the deadline on Friday, and I asked Ms Hayati if she could read my current reviews as I wanted to know if I was on the right path, but she said that it wouldn’t be fair as she hasn’t read the others’ reviews yet, she advised me on how to write the reviews and what to look out for instead, which I had done for my previous reviews so I was quite reassured by her words. I showed her the notes that I made for myself based on the notes the lecturers gave, to ease my writing, and she said that it’s a good way to keep yourself in check on what you need to include in a critical review.

I finished writing all 10 of my critical reviews, and submitted my google document on Google Drive. Here's a pdf version of it:



FEEDBACK: Miss Hayati checked my critical review and found that my last one wasn't completely copied to google docs, thankfully she checked it that week or I wouldn't have known about it as well. I then added my words and made some minor changes to the grammar in my reviews.

Final Critical Review Compilation: 


Here's the PDF for my final critical reviews that I submitted:



Link to Critical Review Compilation on Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cIloxcaF9YOE1o4dCu8-dMdH8Ajom_Qlj_2h3tx3m60/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

Most Popular Post