Design Research Methodology - Primary Data: Data Collection and Data Analysis


12/6/19 -  26/6/19 (Week 11 to Week 13)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Design Research Methodology
Primary Data: Data Collection and Data Analysis



Instructions:

Module Information Booklet:




Lecture Notes:

Week 7 (15/5/19)

This week's lecture was about how to carry out the research methods that we have selected effectively. Here are the notes that I took down during the lecture:

1. Choose qualitative or quantitative or both

2. Know about questionnaire - read up

3. If you make questions:
  • its good to have a reflection / justification 
  • why you make that question 
  • which group of people are you targeting
  • why is it related to the research
  • cited
4. Interview:
  • have template 
  • lecturers will send it 
  • has to be justified
  • Experts in the field or general mass 
  • face to face
  • facetime
  • research about research
5. Observation - visual analysis - field study - phenomenon

6. What are the ways you seek to do so ethically and morally
  • Ethical issue
  • Don't use must
7. Others:
  • Open ended questions
  • Structured unstructured
  • Pattern or themes
  • Observations to be done
  • Don't wait until you see the lecturers
Here are the slides used by the lecturers for this lecture:





The lecturers also gave us extra information on how to carry out visual analysis.



This is the email interview template given by the lecturers to us, for us to refer to when we request for an interview with professionals.



Week 11 (12/6/19) 


There were no lectures this week. We had consultations with our respective lecturers.



Week 12 (19/6/19)

There were no lectures this week. We had consultations with our respective lecturers.



Data Collection & Data Analysis:

Week 11 (12/6/19) 

I started collecting my data this week. First, I sent out all the emails to my potential interviewees, and waited for their replies. I used the email interview template that the lecturers sent over and edited it based on my research topic. Here are the screenshots of me contacting them through my student email account.

Figure 1.1 Mr Teoh Eng Hooi's Email Thread

Figure 1.2 Mr Teoh Eng Hooi's Email Thread

Figure 1.3 Mr Teoh Eng Hooi's Email Thread

Figure 1.4 Maveriq Studio's Email Thread

Figure 1.5 Iris Tan Studio's Email Thread

Figure 1.6 Iris Tan Studio's Email Thread

Figure 1.7 Alchemy Studio's Email Thread

Figure 1.8 Animasia Studio's Email Thread

In the end, only Mr Teoh agreed to participate in the interview with me. Despite having the same surname, he is not my relative of any sort and I actually got his contact from my sound production lecturer, Mr Razif Mohamed, whom I also interviewed for my research.

FEEDBACK: I was sick this week so I didn’t attend class for consultation. I contacted other studios like Maveriq Studio, Alchemy Studio and Iris Tan Studio through email to request for an interview with the sound designers in their team. I also worked on my questionnaire and edited the videos that I would be putting into the questionnaire. I finalized my questionnaire and interview questions during the end of the week and sent them to my lecturer online via Whatsapp.

Week 12 (19/6/19)

I continued collecting my data this week.

Link to initial questionnaire: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1puw4Sa29ExNcTfv9DXUuVHIPxd0g-0WbwNxAz26-eDE/edit?usp=sharing



FEEDBACK: I finally got to consult with Ms Hayati about my primary data progress, and she discussed with me on the content of the questionnaire. She said that I had to justify each and every question that I added into the questionnaire which was what I did after the class. She also advised me to take out a few questions that wouldn’t be useful for my research and taught me better ways to word my interview questions as well. Ms Hayati suggested me to contact a few professionals in the local animation industry and I did, but they did not respond. After my questionnaire was approved, I blasted it out to different social media like Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. By the end of this week, I received two of my interviewees responses and a total of 114 responses for my questionnaire.

Week 13 (26/6/19)

I've collected all my data and started to analyze and compare/contrast some findings. I also compiled all the data into the slides this week.

ONLINE INTERVIEW

I chose this research method because I can obtain qualitative information on the thoughts and experiences of sound designers that have worked on animation films.

Here's the compiled interview answers of Mr Teoh and Mr Razif respectively, with the screenshots of the answers at the end of the documents:

Mr Teoh Eng Hooi:
  • Selangor-based creative that works with audio, video and photography
  • Solid ten-year background as a sound engineer-composer and a freelance portfolio consisting of exciting video and photography projects
  • Work puts forth a strong vision as result of his mastery in these three fields



Mr Razif Mohamed:
  • Web designer, programmer and sound designer
  • Former Audio Director at Tunestone Entertainment Sdn. Bhd, co-founder of New Media Asia
  • The dude behind i-bands.net
  • Owns 7 cats and had them strategically placed around his man cave for Ambisonic sound experiment



QUESTIONNAIRE

I chose this research method because I can obtain an insight on the views of the general public and understand what their requirements an consideration taken when watching animated movies. This is also to help understand and highlight the importance of sound and music in animation towards the audience.

Figure 2.1 Questionnaire on Google Forms

Here's the link to the questionnaire that I created.

Link to Questionnaire - Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1aPv234Qkop1qh7wFkEqfG4HHAFQpfEN1GPQ20PrBjl8/edit?usp=sharing

And here's the PDF version of the responses I received:



Link to Questionnaire - Responses Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ULhPaUOwbu4CsbFscvOcuus716dZ3HIe7d5col-dPi0/edit?usp=sharing

VISUAL ANALYSIS







I chose this research method because it allows the researcher to conduct observation on various sound designers and their methods or experiences and interpret it, coming up with the researcher's own hypotheses and giving the researcher a better understanding and feel of the subject.

Figure 2.2 Visual Observation Notes

Here's the folder containing all my research subject videos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AtYN38vtQwiTPlFZawzq4zkduX5RXsZ0?usp=sharing

I've also included the videos, justifications and analysis in my slides.

Here's the PDF version of my visual observation notes:



Link to Visual Analysis - Observation Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pZgXAylZMyShegn4m49I9TUT4iDCOQOiCzui-_d3qZs/edit?usp=sharing

FEEDBACK: Ms Hayati said that I could ask for more interviewees and I told her that I'm currently waiting for one more interviewee's reply. She also suggested for me to go on with the visual analysis method and that I could use it in my dissertation and also get the point of view of professionals to justify my analysis during the holidays.

Final Data Collection and Analysis: 

Here's the PDF version for my Primary Data: Data Collection and Data Analysis slides:



Comments

Most Popular Post