Design Research Methodology - Primary Data: Research Implementation


22/5/19 -  5/6/19 (Week 8 to Week 10)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Design Research Methodology
Primary Data: Research Implementation



Instructions:

Module Information Booklet:




Lecture Notes:

Week 6 (8/5/19)

We had a lecture about our research implementation this week. These are the notes I took down during the lecture:

Qualitative
  • No statistics
  • Unstructured response options
  • Record down what every single word the responder said
  • Analyse the answers more thoroughly

Quantitative
  • Measurable in numerical form
  • More objective
  • Number based
  • Less in depth
  • Fixed response options
  • Statistical tests
  • More generalisable

Research Tools
  • Research Techniques
  • Diary studies
  • Brainstorming
  • Gamestorming

Others
  • Values
  • Ethics
  • Get consent from others
  • Select 2 methods of retrieving info and justify
These were the slides that the lecturers used for the lecture:





They also gave us some extra notes to read on about research design and research methods.







Week 8 (22/5/19)

It was a public holiday today, so there were no lectures.

Week 9 (29/5/19)

There were no lectures today and we focused on our research implementation, getting consultation from our lecturers and finalizing our research methods.

Week 10 (5/6/19)

It was e-learning week and Raya Hols this week so there were no lectures but we worked from home and received online feedback from our lecturers.



Research Implementation:

Week 8 (22/5/19)

This week, I learned about the different research methods we could use to collect our data for our research. After understanding more about them, I decided to carry out 3 different type of research methods based on my research objectives:
  • Qualitative Method: Online Interview - To know what the challenges of sound designers are and how to overcome them, to know the thoughts and opinions of these professionals
  • Qualitative Method: Visual Analysis - To learn from professional sound designers on their own works of sound designing and observe closely then analyze how they overcome these problems and challenges 
  • Mixed Method: Questionnaire - To obtain qualitative (open end questions like thoughts and opinions) and quantitative (structured questions with numerical value for proof) results from the general public and to analyze the results on the relations between sound and animation.

FEEDBACK: We didn’t have class again today as it was Nuzul Quran, a public holiday. I worked on my primary data progress and decided on having three research methods, 2 qualitative and one quantitative one, all planned towards the objectives and research questions from my proposal. I kept looking back to them so I wouldn’t get lost on my path of research. I made a google document for each of the research methods and put them into the google drive with all my progress in it.

Week 9 (29/5/19)

These are my updated notes for Progress 1 in PDF form:

1. Qualitative Method: Online Interview



2. Qualitative Method: Visual Analysis



3. Mixed Method: Questionnaire



FEEDBACK: I had a consultation with Ms Hayati about my primary data progress. She advised me not to use ‘should’ in my interview questions as it would sound a bit biased towards the answers. I asked her how to carry out the visual observation method so that I would have a better understanding on the method, and she advised me to search for the experts in sound design first before anything else.

Week 10 (5/6/19)

I then compiled all my progresses into google slides and started to gather data based on the questions and methods that I came up and justified with. 



FEEDBACK: This week was our Raya Hols which was also e-learning week. I contacted the sound professional that Mr Razif gave and waited for a reply while continuing with my questionnaire and visual observation.

Final Research Implementation: 

Here are the slides for my research implementation in PDF format:



As I didn't want this blog post to be too long, I split my primary data section into research implementation planning and data collection and analysis. Here's the link to all the findings and processes for my primary data. https://jasminepicjournal.blogspot.com/2019/06/design-research-methodology-primary_26.html

Comments

Most Popular Post