Motion Graphics and Composting - Project 2



May 2020 (Week 5 to Week 7)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Motion Graphics and Compositing
Project 2: Channel Bumper



Instructions:

Module Information Booklet:





This post contains the process and outcomes of Project 2 in the module, Motion Graphics and Compositing.

Project 2 Brief:

Task 2 / Individual Task – Channel Bumper (20% - Individual)

TIMEFRAME: Week 05 – Week 07

DEADLINE: WEEK 07

DESCRIPTION:
Students will synthesise the knowledge gained in Task 1 for application in Task 2. Students are to demonstrate ability to explore and generate an abstract channel bumper in any creative approach with consideration of good audio tempo and visually compelling video.

REQUIREMENTS:
Students are to use information for any proposed channel (*existing or fictional)
create moodboard that reflects their concept/idea
style-guide that conveys final look and feel
storyboard
explore appropriate audio to uplift the motion tempo
Students will start with sketches and test a wide range of conceptual ideas through digitization using the appropriate software.
Students conclude by selecting and presenting their personal design interpretation in the instructed format/s.

SUBMISSION:
Compiled technical doc .pdf (*moodboard, style guide, sketches, storyboard, technical processes as posted in their e- portfolio).
Final output will include a 10 – 15 sec video (*.mp4, h2.64, 16:9 - 1440 X 1080, 25 fps, ACC, 48kHz, uploaded to YouTube channel).


 
Process:

This section contains the ideation and editing processes for Project 2.

Channel Information:

NCT 127 Punch - NeoZone The Final Round

Artist: NCT 127
Album: NeoZone The Final Round
Title Track: Punch
Release Date: 20 May 2020
Album Sales: 1, 218, 653; First Million Seller Album
CTA: Listen on Spotify, Get it on Apple Music / Amazon, Watch it on YouTube

Aim of Channel Bumper:
  • Promote the latest release, Punch
  • Increase Punch MV views
  • Increase album sales
  • Increase brand reputation
  • Showcase information about the comeback and brand
NCT 127 Punch Music Video and Concept Video:



Screenshots of Music Video and Album Details

Ideation:

This wasn't required but I drew a mindmap to help me plan what I wanted to go for in this project, as my mind had been a bit rusty with creative ideas from my 4 months of break since the last semester. I was able to have a clearer understanding and plan what I wanted to include and relay in the channel bumper with this mindmap.


Sketches:

I was kind of lost on what kind of sketches to create so I googled for Motion Graphics sketches and most of them were showing the concepts of the visuals and animations so I tried to do the same for my sketches as well.

Sketch 1:
  • Ideation of logos for NCT 127 Punch
  • Potential graphic elements
  • Graphics related to the concept video

Sketch 2:
  • Ideation of logos for NCT 127 Punch
  • Thumbnails of composition
  • Potential graphic elements

Sketch 3:
  • Ideation of logos for NCT 127 Punch
  • Graphics related to concept

Moodboard:

These are the moodboards that I created to give me a better visual guide on how to proceed with the art style, typography, colour scheme and mood of the project in general. The images were saved from pinterest and compiled in an art board on Illustrator.

Moodboard 1: Focuses more on the style and mood.
Moodboard 2: Focuses more on the animation, colour scheme and typography.

GIF References:

These are some references to the animation style of my channel bumper, most of them having a glitchy, techno effect to go along with NCT127 Punch's style.






Video References:

I saved a lot of video references on my Pinterest Board, below are some that I referenced further for the keyframes and motion of the elements in my channel bumper.






Audio:

I contemplated between two of these audios for the channel bumper, both of them were produced by NCT127 as I wanted their own channel bumper to have songs that were made by them. I decided to go with the first one, The Final Round Player, as the beats per minute was faster and more dynamic, and I could visualise better on the pacing and movement of the elements that I would want to show.

NCT 127 - The Final Round Player 1 (22s - 37s) [Selected]


NCT 127 - Punch MV Teaser (0s - 15s)


Storyboard:

This is my initial storyboard ideas for the channel bumper, it has the content and layout in it but it's quite rough and has a lot of wordings.



I updated the storyboard for the channel bumper with more elements in it and I think that it looks way clearer than before. Updated version:
Editing Process:

This is the editing process on After Effects. I compiled the images and videos that I would be using. I used these videos as part of my elements in the Channel Bumper.




The glitch effect ones were used as overlays, I followed this tutorial to achieve this technique:


Final Composition on After Effects:


Scene 1 Keyframes:


Scene 2 Keyframes:


Scene 3 Keyframes:


Scene 4 Keyframes:


Scene 5 Keyframes:


Final Outcome:

This is the final outcome for Project 2: Channel Bumper, uploaded onto YouTube as unlisted.


Final Slides Compilation:



Compiled Technical Document with Required Information:




Feedback and Reflection:

Project 2 Feedback:

Week 5:
I showed my compiled slides to Mr Fauzi and he said that I could proceed with the keyframes on After Effects. There was something wrong with my Zoom microphone so I couldn't actually talk about my slides this week but Mr Fauzi said that the slides were detailed and presentable enough for him to understand what I wanted to deliver.

Week 6:
I showed my progress on the channel bumper and Mr Fauzi suggested me to use the overlay on the album tracks and to think about the flow of the movement, whether it's smooth and whether the audience can see what you want to show them. He also suggested that I could add transitions to some of the images in scene 4 so that they would look more interesting.

Week 7:
Almost done with my channel bumper, I just had some minor changes to make. Mr Fauzi reminded me about the title / action safe grid and I should scale down my CTA to fit well there.

Project 2 Reflection:

I found this project more challenging and more enjoyable than the last. I learned a lot more than before as it gave me a little more freedom in exploring keyframes and techniques while also using different media such as images, videos, text and shapes. I still had to balance between the left and right brain on showing the information through the video, thinking about the flow of the elements and the size of the text, using the design principles learned in the previous assignment to help me.

In terms of technical learning, I wanted to aim higher at first and learn a few new techniques on after effects, such as the glitch and glow effect. I didn't know that it would be easier than it seemed. But I think I should have focused on nailing the shortcuts for the keyframes into my brain first to improve my working speed. I also learned how to place tools nearer to me, such as the layer mode, also to increase working speed. I learned about adjustment layers that were like magic because if you parent link them with the layers you want to move together you only have to do it on the adjustment layer.

It was my first time editing videos in this style even though I've always admired videos like these. I'm glad I was able to try out and learn more about it in this project. I think I quite like this style but I have to get way better at it because right now is just the start. I'm also glad that I got to use my favourite artists in an assignment and I hope that I could promote them better with this and my future work.

End of Project 2.

Comments

Most Popular Post