Motion Graphics and Composting - Project 4



April 2020 to July 2020 (Week 1 to Week 14)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Motion Graphics and Compositing
Project 4: Abstract Motion



Instructions:

Module Information Booklet:





This post contains the process and outcomes of Project 4 in the module, Motion Graphics and Compositing.

Project 4 Brief:

Task 4 / Individual Task – Abstract Motion and E-portfolio (40% - Individual)

TIMEFRAME: Week 01 – Week 14

DEADLINE: Week 14

DESCRIPTION:
1. Students will synthesise the knowledge gained in task 1, 2 and 3 for application in task 4. Students are to create an theme based abstract motion graphic video that consist a good audio visual say it in 3D/2D, mix media or any experimental visual output that has strong theme.
2. Students describe and reflect on their competencies within the design studio context, supported by evidence. Reflect on how to empathize with others within group settings, interact positively within a team and foster stable and harmonious relationships for productive teamwork. The reflective writing is part of the *TGCP.

REQUIREMENTS:
1. Students are to use information for any proposed channel (*existing or fictional)
• create moodboard that reflects their concept/idea
• style-guide that conveys final look and feel
• storyboard
• animatics
• explore appropriate audio to uplift the motion tempo
2. *The Taylor’s Graduate Capabilities Portfolio (TGCP) is a document that collates all assessments produced in a module and reflects a student’s acquisition of the Module Learning Outcomes and Taylor’s Graduate Capabilities. Each student develops an ePortfolio, a web-based portfolio in the form of a personal academic blog. The ePortfolio is developed progressively for all modules taken throughout Semesters 1 to 6 and culminates with a final Portfolio in printed form produced in the final semester. The ePortfolio must encapsulate the acquisition of Programme Learning Outcomes and Taylor’s Graduate Capabilities to showcase the distinctiveness and identity of the student as a graduate of the programme.

SUBMISSION:
1. Students will start with thumbnail sketches and test a wide range of conceptual ideas through digitization using the appropriate software. Students conclude by selecting and presenting their proposed channel bumper interpretation in the instructed format/s.
• Compiled technical doc .pdf (*moodboard, style guide, sketches, storyboard, technical processes as posted in their e-portfolio).
• Final output will include a 15 – 30 sec video (*.mp4, h2.64, 16:9 - 1920 X 1080, 25 fps, ACC, 48kHz, uploaded to YouTube channel)
2. Submit the e-portfolio’s URL.


 
Process:

Initial Topics:

1. Gender Equality:
The balance of all genders, and the respect for everyone as an equal. 

2. Anxiety:
Spreading awareness of what anxiety really is, the visualization of anxiety.

3. Obesity:
The dangers of obesity and the fine line between being body-positive and having obesity.

4. Plagiarism:
The effects of plagiarism, what will happen if everyone just keeps plagiarizing others and why plagiarizing is bad.

Initial Slides for Project 4:


Ideation:

Chosen Topic: Plagiarism

Plagiarism is the representation of another author's language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions as one's own original work.

Plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's artwork and lying approximately it in a while.

Plagiarism can result in legal action; fines and penalties etc.



 
Problem:
How to change people’s way of thinking so that they don’t plagiarize others’ works? How to prevent your work from being plagiarized?

Solution:
Through the abstract idea of a copycat leaping into someone’s brains to steal ideas and getting caught by the creative commons police, the consequences of plagiarizing will be shown, with a CTA on how to prevent your own work from being plagiarized by having a Creative Commons license to your work.

Slogan Ideas:

  • “CREATE, NOT COPY”
  • “Copyright, not copycat!”
  • “TO STEAL IDEAS IS A BIG DEAL”

Moodboard:

Art style and mood Moodboard:


Silhouette / design principle Moodboard:


Artistic Perspective Moodboard:

Screenshot of Moodboards on AI:


GIF References:

These GIFs served as references for the animation of the abstract motion video.










Colour Scheme

I initially went for White, Red, Black, but I felt like it came off too strong and made it feel like a crime scene or something like that. I fiddled around with the colours and turquoise seemed to fit the mood and concept of my abstract motion, according to my right brain, and blue-ish colours reminded me of intellect and knowledge which is related to plagiarism, according to my left brain.
Typography:

For the typography of this project, I decided to use my own handwriting as the main type, as I felt that the strokes that I make would fit the sketch style of the visual and that it would be more experimental and personal to me. I also used a decorative text for the slogans as I felt like it would fit the

Video References:

This project wa a little different from the rest so I didn't have a specific video to refere to for the style. Since it was an experimental and abstract video, I feel like I should create my own unique style for what I wanted to deliver through this video. I did have idea and inspiration references though.

Abstract graphic ideas and compositions were inspired by this video:


Silhouette style and animation concept idea was inspired by this video:


The promotion of creative commons and the usage of typography was inspired by this video:


Audio:

I wanted to selecte a dreamy background music beforehand when my ideas were different but I feel like when my ideas became more solid, the Funk track was definitely way more suitable for this video. It had a playful and mysterious vibe to it yet it's still catchy enough for the audience to be immersed in the video as it plays.

Funk (0.00 - 0.30) [Selected]


Soul Hip Hop


Storyboard:

My initial ideas for the storyline and storyboard were quite vague and dreamlike, but probably it couldn't be presented properly in just 30 seconds, and I feel like I could be more creative about it.

Initial Storyboard:


After feedback, I had a clearer idea on the direction that I wanted to go for, and my creativity started flowing thanks to the inspiration from the video references. I drew up a new storyboard with my ideas in mind:


Screenshot of storyboard in Photoshop:


Styleframe:

Initial Styleframe:


Updated Styleframe:



Symbolism in the Visuals:

Artwork Referenced:
I referenced artwork from famous artists like Picasso, Van Gogh and Da Vinci and turned them into parody cat versions to mock those that have actually plagiarized and copied works of art like these and claimed it as their own, or not give credit to the original artists when their art is being used as reference.




The Copycat:
The copycat is the main subject of this experimental video’s concept. It symbolises those that have committed plagiarism as a crime.

The Two Crescent Moons:
The two crescent moons painting in the Idea Bank represent an original idea by the brain of the person, being stolen by the copycat. The two moons reveal to be two C’s, standing for Copyright and Copycat. Once the painting gets stolen by the copycat, the cat in the painting’s head gets cut off, warning the copycat that danger is ahead.

The HandCCuffs:
The handcuffs, or handCCuffs in this case with two C's making up the shape of the handcuffs, represent the Creative Commons license that is promoted at the end of the video. With this license added to your artwork, Creative Commons is able to allow you to set how you want others to have permission to your artwork and should follow the creative commons obligations. As the copycat stole the artwork, it is caught and charged for plagiarism.

Client Expectations vs Client Budget:
I added this right at the end of the video as a blooper to mock and pique interest of the viewers, and to make them think about the situations of creatives in the industry.


Sketches / Compositions on Photoshop:

I started by creating psd files for each scene, just like before. I followed the storyboard that I drew closely and created the visuals for each pre-comp, then transferred the files to AE.

Scene 1 visuals:


Scene 2 visuals:


Scene 3 visuals:


Scene 4 visuals:


Scene 5 visuals:


Scene 6 visuals:


I also made a watercolour layer texture to be used in the video.


Editing Process:

Final Comp:


Final Comp Keyframes:


Scene 1 Keyframes:


Scene 2 Keyframes:


Scene 3 Keyframes:


Scene 4 Keyframes:


Scene 5 Keyframes:


Scene 6 Keyframes:


Scene 7 Keyframes:


Animatics:


Final Outcome:

This is the final outcome for Project 4, uploaded onto YouTube as unlisted.


Final Slides Compilation:

 



Feedback and Reflection:

Project 4 Feedback:

Week 11:
We had the brief on the final project this week and I think I understood and had ideas on what I wanted to do. I presented my four topic ideas and narrowed it down to two of them, and had to choose one by next week.

Week 12:
I decided on the topic I would be wworking on, plagiarism, and Mr Fauzi reminded me that there was only two weeks left and I could do something simpler but I could go ahead with it if I think I can complete it.

Week 13:
I was quite stuck on the idea process but Mr Fauzi recommended me to watch Catch me if you Can and the Creative Commons ad, and think about my current ideas and how I could relate it to both of those ideas. I showed my storyboard with the symbolisms for the plagiarism content and Mr Fauzi said that they were creative.

Week 14:
Mr Fauzi suggested me to use my sketching / doodling style as the art style for this project, as he said that it would be more unique and that since I could draw, why not? He also suggested me to use the funk music for this project as it would sound more fun and captivating than the other one, and gave me suggestions on how I could include the client expectations blooper at the end. I went ahead with it and created the video according to the feedback given.

Project 4 Reflection:

This project was a little hard to understand at first, in terms of what I needed to do and create, but then I understood that it's supposed to be an abstract motion and I should let my creativity flow without keeping things to a structured industry level. It was for me to experiment and try out new techniques and medium while also using my left brain to shout a message that I wanted to relay to the world, and to use the design priciples that I have learned so far to help me do so. Once I realized that, I became more enthusiastic and passionate about the project itself.

At first, I was thinking of using my old artwork and drawing out some doodles on pieces of paper but I think I was running out of time for that. I would definitely experiment on that in the future though. I was quite happy when I heard that my drawings could be used as visuals, maybe I lacked confidence in my digital art still but I'm starting to accept that what I drew is my style and that I could keep improving on it so I should be proud of my current progress.

I would like to spread the message in the video to other creatives and indviduals who create ideas and content. I really hope that there would be an end to blatant plagiarism, and that people would treat it with more importance. Having your work that you've spent on for hours or days stolen from you without credits at all, and others claiming it's their work and gaining more recognition than the original artist / designer really sucks.

As for me, I haven't encountered a situation where my work has been stolen before and I strongly disagree with plagiarising others' content, as I know that it'll bite me back in the future and I personally really want to be unique and not copy others' works. One more thing, you may be inspired from a certain idea or artwork, but you have your own brain to learn from it and create your own content, so why not use it?

End of Project 4.

Extra:

I managed to make an ig story ad for NCT's Mark Lee!! The international fanbase had me as a designer for them, hehe. Someone else did the graphics and I made it move though, and I only used an hour to create these because it was urgent.

Thanks to Mr Fauzi for teaching me and if you see this ad on Instagram from the 29th of July to 4th of August, it's thanks to your teachings and guidance!



End of Motion Graphics and Compositing. Start of creating more videos!

Comments

Most Popular Post