Film Studies and Cinematography - Project 2

27/8/19 -  27/11/19 (Week 1 to Week 14)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Film Studies and Cinematography
Project 2: Pitch Bible



Instructions:

Module Information Booklet:




Project 2: Pitch Bible


While editing our storyboard, we worked simultaneously on our pitch bible content. Here's a sample of the pitch bible that we were supposed to come up with: 

Pitch Bible Reference:




Character Design:

I started looking up on character designs and styles for my two angel girls:



This was the art style that I wanted initially:

Used this as reference for when the girls were toddlers.


Initial sketches: 




Lithia:

We actually started off the character designing with silhouettes, and I drew so many but ended up using none of them.

Lithia and Leia:

Lithia in colour: 


Character Descriptions: 

Main Character:

Lithia:
Lithia, an angel that was born with only one wing. As she is different from the rest of the angels, she often feels insecure about herself being surrounded with everyone else with two wings. She wonders why her twin sister has two wings while she was born defective, in angel terms. She's envious of her sister who gets to live a normal angel life while she is trapped in the house by her parents for her own safety.

Second Character:

Leia: 
Lithia’s twin sister. Leia is a very sweet and kind angel, who loves her family and friendsvery much and would do anything to help them. SHe feels bad for her sister who only has one wing, but doesn’t know what to do about it either. The first time she got angry was when her sister  splashed tea at her.

Side Characters:

Dad and Mom:
Lithia and Leia’s parents. They were in a a shock when Lithia was born with only one wing. However they still love their daughters equally and they wanted to protect Lithia from being shunned by others. However, that didn’t go as well as they had planned.

God: 
Everyone knows who he is. The supreme ruler of  Heaven. His face is not shown as no one knows what his true appearance is like.

Gate Guardian:
Mr.-I-Decide-Whether-You’re-Worthy. He’s actually quite chill if you get to know him more. He’s supposed to stand at the post 24/8 but he sneaks off sometimes to play Call of Duty (ironic isn’t it).

Other Characters:

Leia's friends:
Leia’s friends from school. They’re her closest friends that hang out with her at The Round Table usually.

Old Drunkard:
The Old Drunkard. He offered Lithia some vodka that he got from somewhere only he knows/ In the day time, he’s actually a CEO of a small company but that’s another story to tell.

Smoking Guy:
The Smoker. He doesn’t really give a d*mn about anything or anyone. Lithia thought that he was really weird, weirder than the old drunkard.

Pitch Bible Cover:

1st Attempt:


I wasn't too happy with it so I decided to try again and search for reference this time.

Reference used:


Second Attempt:


I asked for opinions from friends and some of them said that the font was too eerie (?) so I made a more decorative one that suited the theme:


To be honest this was the only thing in the pitch bible that I was proud of. I think that the cover is important so that the people would actually pick it up to read it though.

World View: 

Initial Ideas: 
 
I imagined heaven like this first before I researched and found reference.


This was the map I created for the Heaven in my story, I had to plan out what was situated where so that it would seem logical if people though about the routes that Lithia took:


This was the map I created for the Jonker Street in my story. Same thing, I had to plan out what was situated where so that it would seem logical if people though about the routes that Lithia took:


Heaven:

Heaven is where most of the story takes place. It is the birthplace of the main character, Lithia. Lithia, Leia and their parents house is situated in Heaven. God, the holy ruler has a palace here and whoever wishes to meet him would be a really brave angel. There’s also an angel school for little angels and The Round Table, where angels (usually teen angels) would hang out and spend time together with their friends. Heaven is a place that seeks perfection, and because of that, everyone here is beautiful and perfect. If there is any impurity, those in Heaven would definitely look at it in a strange way.

References used:




Final drawings of heaven's surroundings:




The Path Down:

The Path Down is the midpoint between Heaven and Earth, where humans ascend up and angels descend down from. Connected by a swirly pipe, the angels that are executed from Heaven are usually thrown down here and end up living as humans to die. Lithia goes to this place willingly on her own, not knwoing what’s in store for her. At the end, the gate guardian can be seen in front of heaven’s door, secretly waiting for something exciting to happen.

Created from my imagination hahaha.

Final drawings of The Path Down areas:



Jonker Street, Malacca, Malaysia: 

Jonker Street is one of the famous tourist attraction sin Malaysia. It is situated in Malacca. A lot happens here, from day time shopping and touring, to night markets and partying. Lithia falls down from Heaven into the Red Christ Church right in front of Jonker Street, and discovers the human world from here onwards. This place was chosen as to incorporate Malaysian culture into animations, to create awareness and promote Malacca as a tourist attraction. The scenes were referenced from
actual photos of Jonker Street.

References used:





I used google maps to help me understand more on the location of Jonker Street, even though I'd been to this place really recently, and twice for that matter. 

Final drawings of Jonker Street:




Final Pitch Bible:



Self-reflection on Pitch Bible: 

I wanted to come up with a very cartoonish art style that would attract young children, I think the character design is okay, but what I regret was not spending enough time on colouring the characters and the places. I liked writing the character descriptions and world views, but I wish I also spent more time to go deeper into detail. Also, because of this project, I realized that I have to practice my digital drawing and painting more.

Comments

Most Popular Post