Film Studies and Cinematography - Project 3

28/8/19 - 27/11/19 (Week 1 to Week 14)
Jasmine Teoh Lee Suan (0331993)
Film Studies and Cinematography
Project 3



Instructions:

Module Information Booklet:



Project 3: Animatics with Sound 

Process: 

References of animatics: 

Hamilton - Satisfied



I really like the way they did their animatics and how they made the movements look so understandable even though they're not actually smooth animations. I think that if I didn't refer to this video, my animatics would come out really funny and the camera panning that I wanted to put in would look so awkward.

Storyboard Changes:

Editing layers in storyboard so that I have objects to move around in After Effects.






This was so tedious and I don't even know how many frames I had. 

Title Screen:

After Effects Editing: 

Transporting to After Effects and creating the animatics.



It was rather a quick process (one, because I was on super saiyan rushing for deadline mode, two most of the frames were made in photoshop and After Effects has a wonder feature that would help turn those layers into elements for a composition, god bless), and I quite enjoyed stacking the files up one by one , especially when I had to create action. If I had to do a self-criticism on my work, I think the ending was rather rushed but it still rolled. 

At first, I did a lot of camera panning and zooming in but I decided to keep that to a minimum and only for moving through places when using first person POV composition. I also added fade black for showing that time passed, and fade white for exiting an underexposed area to an overexposed area.


Final Animatics with No Sound:


Time to add sound. : )

Adding sound in Adobe Audition: 


I separated the tracks in Audition to Girl Voice, Guy Voice, Sound Effects and BGM. I dubbed the girl voices while changing how I sounded like for each girl character (a little), and I requested my dad to dub the guy voices. I found most of the sound effects from freesound.org, and the BGMs from YouTube. Dubbing the girl voice was the cringiest thing I have ever done for an assignment.


Final Submission: Fallen Animatics with Sound



Final Reflection on Film Studies and Cinematography Class:

I learned a lot from the exercises, it was the class that I learned the most from. I was really enthusiastic about it, and loved the lectures we were given. I felt excited to be able to write a story that I liked, while thinking about my target audience and how to captivate them as well. It was a really helpful start for someone who doesn't know the basics of writing a story at all.

One thing I really regret was skipping this class quite a number of times nearing the end of the semester for my dissertation module. I really felt bad and wished that I were better with my time management. It was the first time in my whole life skipping these many classes during a semester. Because I skipped class and neglected the work for this module here and there in the last few weeks, I couldn't revise my work with our lecturer. I also regret submitting my work late because I know that it's not good work ethics. I will try to manage my time better especially during the holidays that I will be having soon.

I also want to incorporate more of Malaysia's culture into my future stories because just by adding Jonker Street as a setting for my story, even though I didn't emphasize much on it, I felt a sense of satisfaction and I hope other storytellers in our country think the same as well.


 

Comments

Most Popular Post